The Village of Baltimore has taken care of the Opera House structure, and now the Baltimore Downtown Restoration Committee has begun the process to restore the Victoria Opera House. We have installed electricity, completely painted the interior, added an ADA ramp, restored the front doors, added a restroom, and are working toward HVAC this year!
“In 1904 the plot of land, located at 101 S Main Street, Baltimore, Fairfield County, Ohio, on which the “Town Hall” building now sits was deeded to the Village of Baltimore by Henry Hildrand, the founder of New Market. New Market was the original name of Baltimore from 1825 to 1833. That year the Village of Baltimore residents voted to issue bonds for the construction of a town hall, fire station and calaboose [jail]. On April 20, 1905, the foundation of the building was started and in May 1906 additional bonds were sold to complete construction and furnish the building. The building is a three-story Italianate structure. Records have been lost which describe who built the building. What is known is that frescoes in the second-floor theater and third-floor meeting room portions of the three-story building were done by George Siegfried, a well-known artist of the time. The third floor was owned by the Baltimore Lodge and used as a meeting hall.”